EMDRIA International Association allows therapists to deepen their knowledge and practice of EMDR after Basic Training. Here’s an overview of the different designations.
1. Basic EMDR Trained Therapist
A clinician who:
- is licensed in a mental health profession to practice independently and is member of a professional order
- has at least two years of experience in his field of license
- has completed an EMDRIA Approved Basic EMDR Training Program
- respects the EMDRIA Code of Conduct
According to the EMDRIA requirements, a Basic Training provides instruction in the current explanatory model, methodology, and underlying mechanisms of EMDR through lecture, practice, and integrated consultation. The minimum training requirements include:
- 20 hours of instructional material,
- 20 hours of supervised practicum, and
- 10 hours of consultation.
A Basic EMDR Trained Therapist has the knowledge and skills to utilize EMDR, an understanding of case conceptualization and treatment planning, and the ability to integrate EMDR into his or her clinical practice.
2. EMDRIA Certified Therapist
An «EMDRIA Certified Therapist» is a clinician who has completed an EMDRIA Approved Basic EMDR Training Program.
In addition the clinician:
- has conducted a minimum of 50 clinical sessions with at least 25 clients in which EMDR was utilized
- has received 20 hours of consultation by an Approved Consultant in EMDR
- has completed 12 hours of EMDRIA approved Continuing Education credits in EMDR
- has to obtain 12 hours of EMDRIA approved Continuing Education credits within each subsequent two year period in order to maintain the EMDRIA Certified Therapist status.
3. Consultant in Training
A «Consultant in Training» is a clinician who obtained the status of «EMDR Certified Therapist».
In addition, the clinician
- is in the process of completing the criteria to become an Approved Consultant in EMDR
- is receiving consultation-of-consultation from an EMDRIA Approved Consultant
4. EMDRIA Approved Consultant in EMDR
An «EMDRIA Approved Consultant» is a clinician who has obtained the status of «Certified Therapist in EMDR».
In addition, the clinician:
- has three years of experience with EMDR after completing an EMDRIA Approved Basic Training Program
- has conducted at least 300 clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized
- has received 20 hours of consultation-of-consultation from an EMDRIA Approved Consultant
- has to complete 12 hours of Continuing Education credits in EMDR every two years in order to maintain the EMDRIA Approved Consultant status.
5. EMDRIA Approved Trainer
An EMDRIA Approved Trainer is an Approved Consultant in EMDR who meets all criteria to offer EMDRIA Approved Basic EMDR Trainings. A list of all Canadian Basic Training Providers is in the training section of this site.